Friday, December 15, 2006

The Life and Times Of

My name's Adam Wajnberg, and I'm 26 years old. I was born in Cleveland, OH (where the ladies are so nice! No, seriously, Cleveland has no catchy motto, and the ladies are nothing special).

When I was 7, my family moved to Melbourne, Australia. So I grew up in Australia. I still have, for the most part, a pronounced American accent. It goes more Australian when I'm in the US. Fascinated yet? Yeah? Fuck me, get a life.

Growing up, I was short, fat and unathletic. So I gravitated, as so many of us C.H.U.D.S do, towards the arts. I did acting, creative writing- that sort of gay pap.

I wasn't a bad actor. I did some stage plays, some with semi professional groups, and was well received. But, lacking the confidence to pursue acting, I made the decision in my early 20's to switch from being a lazy actor who rarely auditions, to being a lazy writer who rarely writes.

In 2004, I applied for, and got accepted to, the Professional Screenwriters program at RMIT (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, for the uninitiated). There I quickly made myself a standout as a disruptive wiseass with negligible talent, who undermined the kind professionals who gave their time to be teachers. Even with that sort of record, I still feel I was one of the better writers in the program.

In late 2005 I was an intern at The Wedge, a sketch show on Channel 10. I never sold a single sketch. I was told, in these exact words, that my material was funny, but not appropriate for the show. The show, I was told "is for 14 year old girls". This is by the show's creator, you understand. It wasn't a sigh of admission.

If you've seen it, then you'll know that it's being directed at particularly mediocre and unimaginative 14 year old girls.

So anyway, my current projects include Omega Team, which I'll go into detail on later. Briefly, it's a cop show satire, about an elite team of public transport ticketing inspectors. It is not currently gaining any interest, anywhere. Speaking subjectively, as the man who writes a good share of the gags, I'd say it's better than almost anything being done right now in Australian television.

And it's not exactly stellar. In fact, it's downright amateurish.

In other news, I'm working on my first actual paid writing gig. I'm writing and directing my synagogue's Purim spiel, which is as auspicious a start as any, i suppose.

Coming up in future posts- ideas I've got battering around the wheelhouse.

No comments: