Thursday, January 4, 2007

Joey Jo Jo

On January 2nd, 2007, my very beloved friends Nadia and Ben brought a baby human into the world. Josephine Toukhsati Sullivan is a very healthy, 8 lb. baby. She's very cute. Not like, hot, but cute. Ma and Pa are doing well.

Nadia's my first close friend to have a kid. I was very nervous when we visited at the hospital, as I'm never sure what to say in situations as emotional as these. I always feel it my prerogative to talk as much as I possibly can. So I was riffing like Joe Piscopo the entire time, which must have been supremely grating to all around me. I wish I was a calmer soul. I even brought up the fact that I had taken up Jiu Jitsu. Why? Fucking, WHHHHYYY? WHO CARES? THERE'S A CLOSE FRIEND WITH BABY RIGHT HERE!

To bring it back to fekakte Jiu Jitsu again...last night Little Jake (the Jake who got me into it, not to be confused with Big Jake, another mate who also happens to be into wrestling) told me that I was very strong, and had good "explosive power". But he was quick to add that this was bad, very bad, as I might get a reputation for being aggressive, where I should be taking it very slow and working on technique. Being strong is a double edged sword- it gets you out of some less serious jams, but when you come up against someone who can counter it, it's just a good way to get all worked up and waste a lot of energy.

It did not take me long to apply this advice to my personal life.

I always come out of the gate quick. I'm always immediately in with the jokes, the energy, the chutzpah. And It's gotten me nowhere. I need to literally slow down. I need to breathe, and relax, and survey the terrain before proceeding- not just barrel in and rely on a sturdy back foot to get me out of trouble.

No comments: